Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Donna Karlin - Guest BLOGGER

Donna Karlin, my good friend and mentor, pinged me a couple of times over this past weekend in regards to my Breakfast Fairy Challenge. She felt some strong synergy between what I was challenging people to do and a cause that she has recently become involved with that she felt my Ripple friends might want to know about. I asked her to be my Guest BLOGGER and share with us all this important Ripple.

Last week at the Conversation With Masters Conference, we launched the Coach Initiative. The mission is “To be the central gathering point where professional Coaches can volunteer their experience and expertise in support of global projects that focus on the betterment of the human condition and uplifting the human spirit. The Coach Initiative holds the value that professional Coaching has the ability to increase both personal and professional effectiveness, contentment and success of committed clients ("coachees").

We made a commitment as a group to donate our time to this initiative, but each and every one of you can do something in some way in your cities and communities to make a difference one kid at a time.

Rick Koca, the founder of StandUp for Kids, spoke to us from the heart, from a place where passion resides…passion and anger that kids have to end up living on the streets because to them it’s better than what they had to live with in their homes.

“Imagine this: you are 13 years old and you don’t know here your parents live. You don’t know where you are going to get your next meal or where you will take your next shower. You do know that you can’t go to sleep tonight because you don’t know what may happen to you when you close your eyes. All you have is hat is on your body and a small backpack of your most prized possessions. This is what over a million kids experience all the time.”

We heard statistics that were shocking that spoke of a way of life, or ‘no life’ as Rick says, that is just plain unacceptable.

Fact: 1.3 – 2.8 million youth are living on the streets each day. If they were all together in one place, that would rank in the top 10 most populated cities in the US.

Fact: 27% of the homeless are children.

Fact: 50% of all homeless children are under the age of 15.

Fact: Almost 50% of homeless children who are school age have observed domestic violence. Many chose to live on the streets because of sexual abuse by a family or household member.

The first question that came to mind was “Why didn’t I know about this?” Once I knew I also knew I had to do something in some way. I started by what I do best…connecting people who are already in positions to make a difference. StandUp for Kids has 30 programs in 19 states. It’s not yet up and running in Canada but we’re still starting to work with powers that be in various positions of power and influence to make a difference starting right now.

I can no longer say “Why didn’t I know about this?” Yes, we can bury our heads in the sand or we can do something in some way. Spread the word. Contact the StandUp for Kids office in your city and ask how you can help. This organization is made up of volunteers.

I made a promised to Rick that I would tell everyone I knew and even those I don’t through the power of the written word. Steve Harper, an amazing man, lives the Ripple. He doesn’t only talk about it which is why he invited me to share this.

If you go to the website you can see how you can help. And each and every one of you can then make a difference one kid at a time.

Thank you for sharing this very important Ripple. There is nothing more worthwhile than saving the life of a kid and how they are living right now is no life at all.

Best…

Donna Karlin


Thanks for an inspiring call to action Donna. I ask all of you to join me in helping spread the word about Stand Up For Kids. My personal and professional tag like is:

Make a Difference. Start to Ripple.

I can't think of a better way to do just that than by answering the call and helping create some very special Ripples for kids that really need them.


Ripple On!!!

Steve Harper

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve, thank you from the bottom of my heart and for all the kids you'll touch through your ripple.

You are one amazing man my friend : )

Warmly,
Donna

Anji said...

I really thought you were talking about third world countries. A worthy ripple.