Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Community Is Where You Create It


Last night I participated in the monthly Austin Business BLOGGERS Club "informal" gathering at a local Mexican food restaurant called Guero's Taco Bar. It was well attended by some really sharp people and after some minor reluctance to attend (after a trying day), I was glad I decided to go. It was exactly what I needed!

As I watched and listened to how and why so many people passionately and diligently write their BLOGS each day, I found myself inspired; inspired in the fact that so many people showed up, openly shared ideas, tips, tricks and had unfiltered, unedited conversation. As I watched people throughout the night, I watched people change. People who had once been strangers were now becoming friends.

It was the beginning of what I hope will become a fun community.

As I drove home last night, I found myself wondering why I don't do more of these kinds of things. Community really is where you create it. Much of the time it can be something as simple as getting a group of BLOGGERS together for an evening of chips and salsa (and the occasional cold beer) or a group of Mom's concerned about their child's local school. Community usually begins and ends with passionate people coming together to share ideas, express opinions and truly connect.

What areas in your life do you have interest in? Whatever it is, guaranteed there is someone, likely many 'someones,' that are out there wanting to share in your passion and in your interests and would be willing to bring the same. Start looking for them, pick a place to meet and let the chips (or salsa) fall will they may. I bet you will be surprised how quickly your community blossoms and grows.

In case you are interested in learning more about our next Austin Business BLOGGERS Club or a list of those who attended last night's meeting, check out Thom Singer's BLOG post today by clicking here.

Ripple On My Friends!

Steve

No comments: