Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Smile Costs Me Nothing

I walk these streets surrounded by others
My smile looking for a home on just the face of one
Nothing

People pass by me as if I am not there but I am there
Shuffling here and there too busy for me I suppose
Missing

People stay to themselves as if afraid
But the fear of what I ponder
Me

I keep walking keep trying because there is no harm in trying
Just need to catch an eye if only for a second
Chance


At last there it is my smile has found its mark
Is it recognition or unique fascination either way it gets returned
Smile

Their step seems to glide smoother as our brief moment begins to fade
My step certainly has found a new purpose
Conquest

Time to do it all over again
Another smile launched towards an oncoming sea of faces
Searching


© Steve Harper

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Poem Steve.

Christine