Friday, October 13, 2006

Enter Virgin Territory and Never Give Up


I just finished reading Sir Richard Branson's book Losing My Virginity. I found this book to be an incredibly inspiring look at a man who has literally risen from very modest means to one of the world's richest entrepreneurs. The book is an insightful look into the tenacity contained within this man to overcome incredible odds and many a obstacle to build Virgin and its long list of companies into a world powerhouse.

I love reading about people like Sir Richard because it offers insight and inspiration. It shows what is possible and what can be accomplished when you have the heart and the desire to see your actions through to conclusion.

In the pages of this book you find countless examples of his battles with cash flow and bank after bank threatening to call his loans due. For anyone who has ever been in startup mode, you know just how frightening a call from the bank can be because your know the life line of continued existence is a very, very thin one. I myself have experienced this on a number of occasions and let me tell you, it led me down a path of stress, frustration and outright fear that at the time seemed unfathomable.

What I realize now in reading Sir Richard's book is how much I identify with those positions he often found himself in. I can remember nights upon nights tossing and turning at two in the morning agonizing how I might make my next payroll and somehow keep my house. Bargaining with God to just let me make it one more month and to find some pathway to success. Those times, those stresses are not something I ever wish to go through again, but I appreciate them now because I know they were necessary for me to experience in order to grow and develop into what I have become today.

Bottom line if you have a dream and you think the odds are against you, push through that fear and enter "Virgin territory" and don't ever give up. It's easy to do it you know. Giving up is always easier and most people do it. Success, however for most, is virgin territory. Strive for it. Long for it! Desire it with every morsel with your being.

Take it from me or perhaps pick up Sir Richard's book for a wee bit more inspiration....the rewards on the other side are so worth the effort.

Ripple On My Friends!

Steve Harper

1 comment:

PRahman said...

Right on, Steve!
Keep moving ahead with your courage and belief in your mission.