Monday, August 01, 2005

Read To Remain Relevant

I recently gave a talk and the subject of relevance came up. I was specifically asked how someone can remain in front of prospects without appearing too pushy or too "salesy." It was a great question and something that many people in business have a hard time answering.

I believe information is power. Relevant information and fun information alike! There is a great saying that says, "Leaders are readers" and I couldn't agree more. Much can be revealed about you to your clients and prospects when you share information, articles and books that might have interest to them.

Recently, I found myself involved in a conversation with a potential client that I have been speaking to for quite some time. A while back, I suggested he read Malcolm Gladwell's new book BLINK and even provided him with a semi-summary I found on the web. Fast forward a few months later and a couple of useful articles and links sent to him in support of this interesting and valuable book. We are dialoguing quite frequently on the concepts within the book and discussing ways we can possibly incorporate some of them into his business thus paving a potential way for my company to become engaged with his.

Would this have happened without my sharing this book and some of what impressed me about it with him? Maybe….maybe not. I tend to believe that the investment I made by offering up some bit of knowledge that he could apply to his business showed that I was investing in our relationship.

I will write more about this later but until then, what fun, exciting, informative articles or books have you been reading lately? Maybe you should pick up an extra copy for that prospect and see what happens.

Ripple On My Friends!!!!

Steve

2 comments:

thomsinger said...

Was your post asking for suggestions on good books to read? The Ripple Effect by Steve Harper is the perfect summer book. A must read for everyone!!!

Steve Harper said...

And that wasn't even a paid commercial.


Ummmm Thom the check is in the mail!