Friday, July 29, 2005

NM Alzheimer's Association Talk

I gave a talk to the NM Alzheimer's Association yesterday (Thursday) and was absolutely blown away by the people working at this office. Their level of passion and commitment for finding a cure and lending daily aide and support to those who are either suffering and/or caring for people with this horrible, horrible disease is so amazing. I was completely blown away by their generosity and attentiveness to some of the points I wanted to share and I felt by the end that I learned far more than I had shared. Simply stated, their entire staff is an inspiration and a shining benchmark for other Alzheimer Association offices and other non-profits to learn from.

As many of you may know, my mother is in the late stages of this horrible disease. Over the past two years, I have really seen a decline in her ability to function day to day. My Dad is her sole care giver as none of us (four) children live in Albuquerque. He is a true saint as the level of stress and complete disconnectedness he sees in my Mom has to be difficult to deal with day in and day out with little outside help (except from a few great neighbors).

The purpose of my entry today is to bring awareness to this terrible disease. The chance that you or someone close to you will be affected by this disease is very, very possible. I ask each of you to take a moment and reflect on exactly what it would be like to wake up tomorrow morning and have absolutely no idea where you are, who is sitting next to you and likely where you came from. That's a day to day reality for the people suffering with this disease and honestly, despite it being a very real situation in my own family, still is unfathomable to me personally.

Think about that and remember, tomorrow is no guarantee. Live today and every one you receive as it should be....a gift. There is a wonderful saying that goes something like....

Enjoy the present....because it really is.

Create ripples for those that are important to you today. And if possible, create some positive ripples for your local chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. I thank you, my Dad thanks you and my Mom would thank you if she could!

Ripple On My Friends!!!

No comments: