Thursday, August 04, 2005

Networking Warm Up

I attended a networking event last night and was quite honestly disappointed. I can not tell you how many people approached me with the same old tired line, "So what do you do?"

I realize that bridging conversations with new people can be hard. However, I wonder if prior to these events if we mentally prepared ourselves better, like a warm up, if the outcomes couldn't be significantly better. Seriously, Michael Jordan didn't just jump off the bus and go play his basketball game and Peyton Manning doesn't slap on his helmet and start calling plays from the line of scrimmage. There is preparation and warm up before the real game is played. So why should it be any different in business.

Maybe one way to mentally prepare for that next networking event or business function is to ask yourself better questions. What do I want to accomplish with this investment of time? Who could I try to meet that might make a significant impact on me? Who can I have an impact on? Who might be a potential mentor or role model? Who might become a friend, not just another boring business connection? What kind of impression do I want to leave people about ME...not necessarily my business?

My point is, do something! Put yourself in that mode BEFORE the event so you are better prepared to maximize the value of the event. And whatever you do, please find some new unique ways to introduce yourself. You will set yourself apart from the crowd very, very quickly and people will remember you.

"Hi...my name is Steve Harper. I am the purveyor of much wisdom in blogdom!" Uhhh...I guess I need to work on that!

Ripple On!!!!

Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately or as it seems fortunately I couldn't make this event. Steve,I read your comments about NW'ing in your book and they are very interesting.

I think the goal of meeting people in general is just being in a frame of mind to serve and not to be served - not what can someone do for me but maybe as simple as "I am looking forward to sincerely learning about other people - challenging my perspectives and opinions - being interested in them - I understand the comment about the line "So what do you do?" I think the issue is more that we give off an energy (Read BLINK) that tells people that we are either asking in order to gain somehting or are open to give something - we think people don't read us but they do - sometimes unconsciously - I was at a recent gathering and one person I was standing next too actually made me feel nauseous - sounds extreme - but as I moved away I found myself feeling better - why? Who knows but our intuition is quite powerful if we choose to stop and listen to it.

So in summary - I think it stems from our intention of give or get - One of my favorite quotes is from Sir Winston Churchill - "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" - there is no area in our life in my humble opinion that escapes this wisdom.

One other piece of wisdom I garnered from Pulp Fiction (Hey you get the wisdom where you can).

If you knwo the movie - Uma Thurman asked John Travolta -"In conversation - do you lsiten or are you just waiting to talk?"

I went cold as I am sure I do the latter more than I should.

So to anyone I have networked with that I have made feel nauseous or that I seemed not to listen - my sincerest apologies - i will try to do better :-)

Steve Harper said...

Well said Michael! And I doubt seriously you have ever made ANYONE nauseous.