Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Attitude Altitude

Zig Ziglar is famous for saying, "Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.  My friends I couldn't agree more.

I know several people that simply fail to connect the dots as to why "their lot in life" (as Star Wars reference thank you very much) is a direct reflection of the attitude they have about it.

"My boss is horrible and I hate the people I work with." 
"There's no love in my marriage so why should I try?"
"My kids don't appreciate what I do for them."
"Success is what happens to other people, never me."
"Why can't I be that lucky?"

Believe it or not these are all phrases that have been uttered to me just in the last two weeks!  All by people coming to me looking for a magic bullet to fix their problems.  Guess what, that magic bullet which I shared with each of them, is changing their approach to how they feel and even talk about their circumstances.  And if that doesn't work...change the circumstances.

Attitude is our internal and external reflection of how we process, absorb, perceive and approach things in life.  It is the ultimate barometer to how happy or sad we make ourselves AND (this is a big one) others!

If your attitude is in the dumper then you my friend need to make a change.  Change your vocabulary and the story you tell yourself and others about your circumstances.  Change the poor me victim mentality and realize you are ultimately responsible for your situation, no one else.  Change your focus and reposition it so that even if things suck right now you can see the bright light at the end of the tunnel and strive to get there sooner rather than later.

I suggested to these people the following:

"I'm happy to have a job. Though this environment isn't for me long-term I will do the very best job I can while I am here and I'll keep looking."

"If I want love in my marriage then I have to go out of my way to share love before I can expect it to be reciprocated.  Then and only then will I know if I've given it my all and we'll see where things go from there."

"Some day soon my kids will be grown up and probably have families of their own. They will remember those hot breakfasts I fixed for them and those countless soccer practices I took them to. Hopefully they'll think back and realize I did it because I loved them.  Just as they will do it for their kids, because they love them."

"Perhaps rather than be jealous of the other people's success I should learn what I can from their success and apply it to my own life."

"Luck will find me because now it knows I'm looking for it!"

Change your attitude and watch as you gain altitude.  For those naysayers out there, yes, it really is that simple. 

Ripple On!!!

No comments: