Friday, May 28, 2010

Graduating My 5th Grader

So today my oldest son Zach is officially graduating from 5th grade.  To say that I am a proud father would be an understatement.  All that he has accomplished this year fills my heart with so much pride that if it were truly possible to burst I think it just might.

But here's what I've learned living with the kid that next year will be officially moving into the "big kid's school."

Whenever you think you can't possibly be more proud they find something to amaze you and prove you wrong.  How many awards and distinctions he received today simply had me in awe!

A kid going into middle school has to have a phone.  What?  At this age I was still playing with my Star Wars figures...not worrying about calling let alone texting my buds.  So I finally broke and got him a phone as a "graduation gift."  Donations will gladly be accepted for my future bills!

Raging hormones make eleven year olds extremely irritable.

His smiles, although sometimes rare, still render me powerless.

The little dude is so strong I won't challenge him to any more arm wrestling matches.  I learned my lesson the last time.  

Those half-leans into my shoulder are his way of looking cool but still telling me he loves me.

He and my wife could argue with a wall.  In fact they both have and have claimed victory.  Poor wall.

6 year old little brothers are only designed for one purpose....punching bag for older brother.  Poor Josh.

The things I used to do that were "cool" are now more or less embarrassing.  Maybe I'll start mowing the lawn in dress socks and sandals and show hm what embarrassing really looks like.  Dare me?

That if he ever depends on me for math homework help I am sunk.  He is so much smarter than I was at that age.  Hell at this age!

My son is a rock star at his school.  He was the Vice President of his class and little kids I swear looked at him like he was one of the Jonas Brothers.  His little brother of course denies this.

I have a hard time with his attitude now - what on Earth will the real teenage years bring me?

Wait....they say you get back double what you gave your parents.  Oh crap!

I've learned that boys his age never seem to quit smelling like wet dogs.  Even after they shower.

I've learned that he can absolutely not comb his hair and still look like a little stud.  I envy his hair.

He claims to not like girls which is okay with me.  However, I see more and more girls walking slowly by our house and I swear they are looking to get a glimpse of The Z-Man.

I could go on and likely bore the tar out of you.  Needless to say I am proud of my little man and today was a big step towards the writing of the next chapter of his life.  I was both excited and teary-eyed at the same time.  Yes damn it real men do cry - especially when they are as proud of their kids as I am of Zach aka Z aka Z-Man aka Zrod aka Hot Shot aka My Majito aka my baby boy.

Zach in all seriousness, I am so proud of you.  You are an amazing son and your mom and I are blessed parents!  Congratulations on an amazing career at Brushy Creek and like so many teachers have told me this week...you'll be missed but never forgotten.  That's pretty cool and makes me tear up just thinking about it.

Yes I know...I'm embarrassing you!

Ripple On Z-Man Ripple On!!!

No comments: