Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Little Ripple Goes a Long Way

When was the last time you recognized or complimented a coworker, good friend or even a complete stranger for something, anything? You know unexpected recognition, praise and encouragement can impact a person in ways that you could never imagine. Sure it takes a little risk on your part and can maybe at first seem a little uncomfortable but that's alright. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will get at doing it.

There is a particular coffee shop that I drop by nearly every day for my daily caffeine fix. The woman behind the counter is, I think, somewhat introverted. Her shyness could, and is, easily misconstrued as her being somewhat rude or aloof about her duties. I somehow recognized this about her after she first started working there and I consciously decided to do my part to take some action to change that about her; well at least when she deals with me.

I refuse to let a day go by that I don't at least try to joke with her on some level or compliment her either on what she is wearing or note how good it is to see her. This invariably makes her smile big as Texas and I like to think, happy that I come in virtually every day. She really seems to love it when I kid her when there is a line of people standing behind me. I don't know if my efforts somehow yank her out of her introverted dungeon of fear or if my jokes are just that funny and entertaining, but I can truly see the Ripple my efforts are creating. I watch as I step aside to prep my coffee and watch her personality really come out and shine with the next few people in line. My simple act of attention I believe helps her to be better at her job and the people who used to not care for her (and it was obvious) really seem to now enjoy seeing her every day.

What does my effort cost me? Absolutely nothing! I have had the opportunity to get to know a really nice lady whom I likely never would have gotten to know had I just been a mindless customer coming in for my coffee day after day. The changes that I have seen in this woman are nothing short of amazing and I believe are, at least in part, due to taking some action to recognize, compliment or joke with her every time I see her.

People matter and whether you are serving me coffee, driving me to the airport or taking my phone call, I like to show it through my efforts, my attitude and my way of Rippling. Give it try and just see how amazing a small effort on your part can impact another person and how incredible you feel for doing it.

You just never know what kind of Ripple it might create. This morning....my little investment of daily Ripple may have just gotten me a free day old Danish. Yummy!

Ripple On!!!

Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Everyone thinks, how can one man make a difference? This is exactly how!

Cheers,
Albert | UrbanMonk.Net
Modern personal development, entwined with ancient spirituality.