Thursday, November 08, 2007

Mental Mind Check To Not Miss Opportunities

Sometimes we end up having to do certain things in our lives that at the time we really don't want to do. Maybe it's a trip to the in-laws, that holiday mixer or having to attend a PTA meeting after a long day at the office. It always seems to be something that no matter how we slice it we simply don't get excited about having to do it.

When these opportunities present themselves and you have the nagging urge to whine and complain about having to "do it," don't. Instead turn that urge into a chance to explore inwardly as to why these feelings are occurring and do a little mental mind check. Maybe these overly sensitive feelings are actually a warning sign of some sort that despite what you want to do, someone else has something else in mind for you. One thing is for sure, when you focus only on complaining about whatever it is you don't want to do, you might actually miss the reason you were supposed to be there in the first place.

I speak from experience and recently this has happened to me with more frequency.

There was the coffee I didn't want to have with a colleague because I was teetering on burnout at the time. Despite my strong urge to call and cancel, I didn't and it turned out that the colleague wanted to talk to me about a lucrative speaking opportunity that turned into a substantial payday for me. It also turned out that someone from another table overheard us talking about the opportunity and asked me for my card because she was mesmerized by what I did and how it might work in her corporate environment.

Or there was the dinner I didn't want to go to with a colleague who wanted to introduce me to two friends of hers. They turned out to be two of the neatest people I have met in a long time and both have committed to help me expand my concept to some business areas I would never have be able to get into without help.

And then there was the time I went to a party and met someone while trying to stay low and melt into the scenery and not talk to anyone because I had a headache. One guy noticed me and started a casual conversation and it turned out that we both ended up talking football (sorry ladies, sports is big for me). He ended up purchasing a number of books for his executive team and is now talking about some significant training opportunities for his firm. Somehow that night my headache magically disappeared too.

I could literally bore you with hundreds of examples of these kinds of scenarios and of course not all of the ones that happen to me result in just a business outcome. My point is that sometimes we have to get out of our own way. Rather then look at the feelings of dread for participating in some function or going someplace you don't think you want to go to, change your focus from the negative to the potential positive outcomes that might come from it. Or at least let me say, be open to the possibilities. Use the negative feelings you experience as a wake-up call and get your attitude in check. You might just be surprised what you find when you do.

Besides whatever you think you don't want to do you likely have to "do it" anyway so why not make the best of it?

Ripple On My Friends!!!

Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, I couldn't agree more with this post! I have made a promise to myself recently that if I have already agreed to do something, I MUST do it with joy. If I don't feel joy about it in the first place, I must strongly consider not agreeing to do it. So I have a CHOICE, and if I made the choice to participate, I must do it fully. Does that make sense? This is really helping me, remembering that I have choice all the time and I am choosing to be exactly where I am.

- Lorie Marrero

Anonymous said...

I like what you’re doing with your blog. Keep up the awesome work. Great Post!

Love & Gratitude,
Tina
Think Simple. Be Decisive.
~ Productivity, Motivation & Happiness