Thursday, July 26, 2007

Take Your Shot

Michael Jordan is considered amongst most basketball fans to be one of the greatest players to have ever played the game. His last game as a Chicago Bull was against the Utah Jazz in game 6 of the NBA finals. That game alone stood as a shining example of what magic "Air Jordan" brought to the game as he drained a game clinching jumper with 5.2 seconds left. The Bulls would celebrate their sixth NBA title because of that one shot and as a fan I still remember watching it and the goose bumps that crept up on my neck when that ball went in the hoop.

Jordan was an amazing player and somehow always put himself in the position to win. He was the go to guy and never feared taking the shot. He played with competitiveness and drive that undoubtedly fueled that basketball team and the entire city of Chicago and to this day stands as an example to me.

But what if Michael had never taken his shot? What if he would have allowed his high school basketball coach who cut him to be the sole judge of his abilities? Air Jordan may never have come to fruition and he might have just been some guy named Mike.

I still wonder what happened to that coach who once told him be wouldn't amount to anything in basketball. I wonder if he watched that ball go in that basket as I did and found some element of regret. No teacher, no coach, no parent should ever be allowed to tell anyone that looks up to them what they can't do. Just an opinion.

Michael "Air" Jordan refused to let someone else tell him what he could do. He worked every day to make his dream a reality and never ever gave up. He took his shot and because he did, the rest is, as they say, history.

What shot are you failing to take? What Air Jordan like qualities might be hidden below your surface that with the right attitude, the right focus and the same drive and undying commitment could put you in a position to make your shot a reality?

Don't give up. Don't ever give up.

If you are interested in watching the video of Michael refusing to give up click here.

Ripple On and Take Your Shot!

Steve

7 comments:

Steve Harper said...

Okay....just had to share a note on my post. I got home and opened up the paper and read my horoscope (something I rarely read) for today and it just made me laugh on the heels of my post....

They'll try to tell you that one chance is all you get, but the fact you'll have endless chances. So give it your best shot.

Totally funny! Weird how this world works.

Ripple On!!!

Steve

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend Pam who is a huge fan of yours turned me onto your BLOG and I have to say after reading your posts I am blown away. You really are inspiring. You have an entire legion of female fans thanks to Pam and you can now count me among them.

Your gotee is apparently a new edition according to my girlfriend and I have to say I give it a thumbs up!

Thanks for doing what you do. If you ever make it to Ann Arbor to speak or for business please let us know because the cold beer is on us!

Ripple On Mr. Harper!

Anonymous said...

The basketball player I think of instead of Jordan is Robert "Big Shot Rob" Horry.

Why him?

In the regular season the guy's a glorified bench warmer. But in the playoffs in the last few minutes of a game, the turns into something else. He is not afraid to take the big shot. I remember watching him kill the Spurs when we was with Houston and the Lakers. And then when he joined us, I watched a playoff game when the big stars (DUncan Ginobli) looked petrified down the stretch. I kept screaming "just give it to Horry, he'll take the shot".

And what happened? Horry got the ball and drilled the big shot over and over.

The moral of the story: you don't need to be a Jordon who always took the shot. Most of us aren't Michael Jordans. But we can be Robert Horry. When you absolutely have to take the shot, you step up and take it.

No, we're not Jordan, but I think each of us has a little "Big Shot Rob" in them.

Unknown said...

I've taken shots and sometimes they don't come out all that great like Michael's. lol. It was hell then

Steve Harper said...

Chelsey,

Thank you for the great comment. No plans to speak up your area at present but if you ever know of any companies, organizations, conferences or conventions that could Ripple, let me know. I would be honored to take you up on the beer if our paths ever cross. I have a rule in life...if someone is offering beer...well you can't be rude and not take it! :-)

Seriously thank you for your post and tell Pamela thanks for spreading the word on my work!

Ripple On Ann Arbor...Ripple On!!!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Steve...forget them Northern girls. Southern girls are much more fun and so much better Ripplers!

A bigger fan than most from Dallas!

Lisa Adams

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Looks like you are creating another Civil War.

I have to side with the South.

XXOO!

Lindsay (no not Lohan...funny post you made this morning by the way).