Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Power of You

Do you realize that you are powerful?


I am serious.


You are important!


You have a defined purpose and reason for being here.


You mean something.


Your job, your friends, your family, your church, your community are all better off because you are who you are and because you play the role of being you. Say that outloud to yourself....things are better because I am here. Empowering self statement if I ever saw one!


Understanding and appreciating that we are all here for a defined purpose is something I myself have only begun contemplating for my own life but I have to admit the process has been amazing and incredibly enlightening for me. Maybe this is something that comes with age and experience but I honestly believe that isn't it. For me it was focusing on the wrong sorts of things; waiting somehow for life to magically make things good for me. My life has always been incredible and I have been lucky to have abundance of enormous proportions much of which I have always failed to understand and appreciate. But yet it wasn't until I started looking inward and seeing me for who I really am (and destined to be) that the real blinders came flying off.


What would your life look like if you rose tomorrow, looked at yourself in the mirror and thanked God, the universe or whatever you believe in for having another day on this Earth to make your contribution; a literal thank you for having the ability to be powerful in your presence and impact on the here and now! How might your perspective be shifted? How might your priorities magically realign to focus less on the small stuff and perhaps embrace more of the bigger picture? What challenges might not look so insurmountable? What changes in the world might you decide right there that you are going ot be responsible for? What brush strokes might you use to paint the new landscape you call your life?


I write this tonight knowing that I am a valuable person and I am here right now living my life for a specific purpose. I honor that which created me by embracing this fact and trying each day to find yet another piece of the puzzle to complete the picture of what makes Steve Harper Steve Harper. I also realize that I have largely spent a huge portion of my 36 short years taking with no thought of giving back.


The landscape isn't perfect. Life is hard...especially at certain times. Things aren't always going to go my way. I am owed NOTHING! But somehow that's okay. The good and the bad is what makes me who I am. It's all of that and then some and that's what I think people somehow seem to be drawn to. The power in me is the fact that "me" is a work in progress and my comfortableness in knowing that and verablizing it is what I think at times inspires others. They find power in what powers me and that fuels me to get out of bed every day. It inspires me to continue working towards being me and to further my journey and collect more pieces of my puzzle.


I also write this tonight knowing full well that the same can be said of you too. Take the time to recognize the enormous power that you bring to the lives that you touch and those you have yet to touch. Decide to take the time to realize that you are here for a purpose and give thanks for the opportunity. If you, like me, are still trying to figure out exactly what that purpose is...that's okay. Your journey of a million miles begins with that first step. Let your power be your guide and the steps come easier I promise. I guarantee a new perspective, a new reality awaits.


And imagine what Ripples this just might bring forth for you!


Ripple On!!!


Steve


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Talk about synchronicity. I was writing a blog post similar to yours just today to put in MY blog next week. You are right..we're all somebody...if we only look within.

Bless you and all you do,
Carlon

Arlin K. Pauler said...

What a great insight!
You are on to something of major significance to both you and man kind. I think of this as “Making the kind of difference we really want to make”. It turns out that just being our authentic Selves is the most valuable and profound ripple we can make. It is also the most fulfilling and rewarding. Here it is again: “Unto thy Self be true”. It’s all about Karma and being the source of Karma of Well-Being.
This kind of insight is a little like walking into a fully furnished room with the lights turned off. Then as the lights come on, little by little we see what was there all along. As I have said previously you are already making a difference. The world is already a better place as a result of your ripples. Now you are moving from unconscious competence to conscious competence. Things done mindfully are done more masterfully. So now your ripples will make an even better difference for both you and others.
Ripple on authentically!
Have a fun and rewarding day, Arlin.

Marjie said...

Hey Steve, I have moved my blog to a different url, and "the cure for silence" will be put to rest. Please update your link list and visit me in my new pad at http://so-marjienalized.blogspot.com

Thanks a bunch...have a great week!

Steve Harper said...

Thanks for the comments Carlon. That is so funny. Synchronicity my man!

Arlin thank you for the great post. I always love hearing from you because your comments are so inspirational to me. Thank you for today's comment especially!

Ripple On Boys!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Ironic... I was just talking to a friend about wanting to adjust my attitude and this post just whacked me over the head and said, "See??? This is what you need to remember!" Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Steve I am amazed by how timely your post is. My life has been in a total shambles as of late. A colleague suggested your book and I only recently started reading it. Talk about eye opening. It was if you wrote it specifically for me as it addresses a lot of the same issues and complexities I am finding in both my personal and business lives.

The book has been one thing but then to start reading your BLOG has been a completely different experience. This last post nearly had me falling out of my chair as you challenge me to think about just how powerful I am. Forget what everyone else says I can't do and just go do it. Your insight and your vision is powerful and is helping more people than you could ever imagine.

Thank you Steve Harper for being the Steve Harper that I needed to come into my life. I do hope our paths will cross because I know just meeting you would be amazing.

With Gratitude,

Lisa McAdams