Friday, March 17, 2006

Stand Out & Put The Luck of The Irish To Work For You


Yesterday was March 16th. Just a typical day or so I thought. The beginning of the NCAA tournament which is always a good thing (though my beloved NM Lobos are no where to be found in the tournament bracket..Drats!!).

For me, St. Patrick's Day and the NCAA go together like corned beef and cabbage. It signifies the beginning of spring and always reminds me that 'the hotter than a pimple on the ass of hell' days of summer can't be far behind.


I was casually going through mail yesterday as I semi-work and semi-play since my son is out on spring break. I came across a nicely handwritten envelope which always makes my heart stop. Do you ever notice that no one WRITES anything anymore?
Well I immediately tore into my new prize with the anticipation of a kid on Christmas morning. Oh what could it be? Who would be writing me? I realized a smile was firmly affixed on my face as I drifted momentarily as to who it could be that would be sending me something. Oh the anticipation...the excitement!

No I don't always get like this when I go through my mail so no need to call the guys in the white coats. Effect baby....Now back to the story!


Adam Frishman, a good friend of mine, had taken the time to signify the LUCK OF THE IRISH in a personalized card just for me. The message was simple....he felt 2005 had been a lucky year and he was grateful to have met me. ME! Can you believe that? How absolutely cool is that? He considered meeting me one of the lucky things that happened to him this past year.


My point is not only to say I have a great friend that sent me a St. Patrick's Day card.
My point happens to be the fact he is the only one. Yes sir, that's right.....he was the only one!

Think about that for a minute. When we all send and receive cards during the Christmas season we sort of expect them don't we? We get several in each day's mail leading up to the blessed day and yet none of them likely have the impact that this prized St. Patrick's Day card did. It was different. It was unique. It was allowed to be appreciated. Why? Because there was no other messages, cards or otherwise to compare it to. It was the one and only card that I received and it totally changed my state. It made me happy that Adam had taken the time to write what he wrote, licked the envelope and mailed it.


Though it is a little late to send out this year's St. Patrick's Day cards to the ones you want to impact, there is this great little invention called a telephone. Take a few minutes to make someone's day and bid them a "Happy St. Patrick's Day!" Wish them the luck of the Irish for the next year and I guarantee you will have them feeling like Adam made me feel. You will stand out!

Remember, people don't always remember what you told them, they may not remember what you did but they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel! Thanks Adam and best of luck to you for the next year as well my friend!!!

In case you want to know something about this great day, check out this site:

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/stpatricksday/?page=history


Raise a glass this hallowed Irish day and offer the well wishes of luck to any and all that will listen to what you might have to say!
Happy St. Patrick's Day My Friends!


P.S. Don't forget to get out and buy some St. Patrick's Day cards for next year! They will be on sale tomorrow .

No comments: