Monday, March 20, 2006

Reconnecting With Our Past

My recent trip to Arkansas to visit the stomping grounds of my Great Grandfather was a very enlightening experience both personally and professionally. I never really allowed myself to examine where I came from. I have always been more focused on where I was going rather than where I had been. I now must admit I know this was a misalignment in my thinking. I think it is important for us all to examine where we come from both from a personal and professional perspective.

I used this experience as an excuse to reconnect with one of my first bosses. Just as you likely wouldn't be here without the steps your family carved before you, the same is true to a degree of your professional life as well. The people that gave you a "shot" early on played a pivitol role as to where you are today. Think about that for a moment. Without that first job in high school or college, you likely wouldn't have had the confidence to go out and get that second job, that third, etc. etc...

How many of us actually go back and thank people for the "chance" that was given to us? I suspect most people don't do that it at all. I speak a great deal about not letting an opportunity pass you by as you never know where the people you meet today might be tomorrow, next year or six years from now. Someone that might not be applicable to helping you today could be that major connection for you next year right? This is true of our past connections as well.

For me, my former boss has gone on to do some pretty amazing things with his career though for the most part he is still firmly planted in his original business. Though his core business is no longer something that directly applies to what I "do" for a living that makes no difference. The lessons I learned from him way back then are still prevalant in how I conduct myself today and for that I am truly grateful.

Reaquaint yourself with your past and people like your former bosses, co-workers, etc. and what they did for you can open up a whole new world of current day connections and opportunities. If nothing more....a much deserved "thank you" after all these years will create a ripple you never quite expected....for both of you.

1 comment:

Asha said...

Revisiting where we came from can be a powerful tool in our lives. There is so much we learn from old bosses and colleagues that help us succeed in our present day ventures. It is very important to thank those that have helped us take the steps along the way. Both professionally and personally. This is a great reminder for all of us! Thanks! :)