Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trout Dancing In My Downtime

This week I am fishing in Montana and Colorado and what’s that saying? I’m happier than a pig in slop!  What an understatement!   This is something I look forward to every year and want to drink in every single second.

I love the calm cool mornings, the gurgling of the river water and the gentle hum of the wind as it passes through the tall pine trees.  Can you say heaven?  I am truly at peace when I am in the mountains.

Now I don’t profess to be an expert fly fisherman, no, far from it.  But it’s the process that I love.  The older my boys get the more they want to be like just like their old man (God help you world!).  Their determined faces as we hit the water.  Their  “Dad I got one!” every ten seconds (and no unfortunately there’s never a fish after such pronouncements).   They look adorable in the waders, like mini versions of the men they are becoming and I could not be more proud.

Of course none of these excursions would be possible without my wonderful bride Kathy.  She’s spends the months and weeks leading up to these trips planning them with military precision.  She thinks of everything and I do mean everything.  I am truly blessed that she goes above and beyond to make these experiences the very best for our family. 

It’s during these trips that I use the time to fully disengage and recharge.  For me the success of a trip isn’t based on how many fish I catch but how many smiles we share as a family. 

We all need downtime in our lives, whether that’s an annual vacation or just a day or two throughout the year to unwind and relax.  The time, however you choose to spend it, is so important to our mental and physical well being. 

So I am curious, how are you spending your downtime this summer?

Ripple On!!! 

No comments: