Friday, May 21, 2010

Real Rippler Kathy Buckley

I truly believe in my heart that life presents us with opportunities every single day.  It's what we do with those opportunities that creates the Ripples in our lives and the lives of others.

Many of those opportunities come in the form of the people we meet.

This past week I had the pleasure of participating in the Conversation Among Masters 2010 Conference in my former hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico.  It was truly an inspiring experience as I was able meet so many amazing people and explore ways in which my Ripple concept could be incorporated into the truly good work of some of the world's leading coaches.

On the last day of the conference I was asked to say a few words to the general audience about why The Ripple concept was something they should be aware of.  As I left the stage I was tapped on the shoulder by a woman who pulled me aside.  She asked me to share what I had said directly with her.  You see she was deaf and when I was up on stage she couldn't read my lips.

That started a conversation that had me laughing, got me thinking and warmed my heart in a way that is hard to explain with my limited writing ability.  I met America's first deaf comedienne Kathy Buckley.  Kathy was hired to perform at the conference's closing dinner and had come to check out the morning speakers and meet some of the conference organizers.  Instead Kathy and I found an instant connection that lasted most of the morning as we found a corner to spend the next few hours truly connecting.  It was an amazing occurrence that still has my head buzzing with all the possibilities of why our paths crossed at this juncture of our lives.

Kathy has an inspirational story that I would encourage you to learn more about via her website at www.kathybuckley.com.  She is the epitome of a Rippler though after telling her that she prefers we call her a "Wave!"  She is inspiring people to look beyond their own insecurities and limitations and to realize that "life is good" and every day is a gift that should be cherished. 

There is absolutely no doubt that Kathy and I will be great friends.  In fact she's demanded it and given her larger than life personality and her "well connected" Italian family I have of course agreed.  Seriously though, Kathy is an incredible person that is every day trying to spread an inspirational message of hope and create powerful Ripples in the hearts and minds of all who will listen to her story.

I write this today in hopes we can create a Ripple that does in fact turn into a full on wave.  Kathy is on the board of directors for No Limits School based in Culver City, California.  The mission of No Limits is to meet the auditory, speech and language needs of of deaf children and enhance their confidence through theatrical arts and individual therapy as well as provide family support and community awareness on the needs and talents of deaf children who are learning to speak.  After hearing Kathy talk so passionately about the school and the fact their next 10 week session was in jeopardy due to lack of funding I had to do something.

On June 18th Kathy will be hosting a benefit called Hero's Way: An Evening of Comedy and Inspiration Featuring Ms. Kathy Buckley and the No Limits' Children.  This is where I need your help.  I want our Ripple community to do what they can to help these kids, many of them from lower income families, make sure their next school session is not postponed due to lack of funding.  I'm calling on you all to not only look at the No Limits website which happens to be here: http://www.kidswithnolimits.com/ but also donate a few bucks to help this tremendous cause.

Watch this video about No Limits and help us spread the word of the unfathomable Ripples they are creating in the lives of these kids.  Facebook it, Tweet It, shout it from the hills (people still do that right?) and help us spread the word so we can generate awareness and donations so the school can continue doing the great work it is doing.  These kids need us so let's show them the meaning of what Rippling is all about.  Please!



If you can't see the video please go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI7fV3gufV8


Ripple On!!!

No comments: