Thursday, October 09, 2008

Lessons Learned From a Funeral

Choking back tears, his words filled with raw emotion, my friend spoke about his dad. It was one of those powerful moments that I know I will remember for the rest of my life. With my heart in my throat and my eyes welling up with tears, I listened, I learned and I found inspiration where I least expected to find it.

Eric talked about how everything he had learned in life he had learned from his dad. He confessed it was his father that taught him how to love, really love. He shared a story about Eli, Eric's year and half old son and Grandpa's greatest joy. Eric said, "Dad was still teaching me up until a few days ago. Though he couldn't speak he could continue to write. He wrote, I love Eli. Not because he is my blood and I have to. No, I love Eli, because Eli loves me."

It was a simple statement but one of the most profound lessons I have ever been taught. It just takes love and nothing else matters.

As evidenced by the various stories and conversations I heard about Eric's dad Leo, he was without a doubt a lover of people. A good friend of mine who knew Leo personally told me that every time he was in the office where Leo worked he was always there with a warm greeting, big smile and a story. He was a man that no doubt effected a lot of people not because he had to, but because he could.

That loving spirit is something that many of us forget to have in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. Why? Clearly it doesn't take any more time or require that much more effort to give it. It just takes opening your heart a little wider to others and in return they just might open theirs to you. Leo was clearly proof of that.

Ripple On My Friends!!!

No comments: