Monday, September 17, 2007

Obsession

I will admit it I am a sucker for some of the more quirky reality television shows. I don't watch many and generally few keep my attention for more than an episode or two but one show in particular caught my eye recently on Bravo called Welcome to the Parker. This show was pretty darn interesting as it revolves around a high-end resort out in Palm Springs and all the interesting situations that arise from the demands of serving the "well to do jet set" type. I haven't qualified for that elite club yet (likely never will) so my experience of going to one of these resorts is limited to watching it in reality television.

How sad! Surely even the Parker needs the Ripple Man right? Maybe someday!

Anyway, one of the episodes in particular really stuck with me and it was something I just had to share with you. It was an episode on obsession. In this one episode the manger and general manager of the resort are trying to fire up their line managers and get them all thinking along the same lines. The word obsession was used as a management and operational rally cry. And the more I watched the show the more it became quite apparent that the word was not only a rally cry of motivational jargon but their only way of doing business.

The staff, regardless of position, all seem to obsess about the look and feel of the resort. They obsess about how their customers will be served and how the customers perceive that service. They obsess about going the extra mile even when they have screwed up to make a bad situation turn out just the right way. They obsess about creating an environment of perfection that although behind the scenes it might be anything but. Regardless the customer or "guests," never see anything but top-notch service and hard earned value for the high dollars that they are spending.

It was fascinating to me to see, although I am certain fictionalized somewhat for television, the level of commitment this organization was able to drive from the top down. Everyone at the Parker, at least on television, seemed to take this work obsession to heart and the by product was a five star experience that people gladly seem to pay upwards of $5000 a night to have.

If you work for or run a company, how obsessed are you? How obsessed are your teammates? Do you do whatever it takes to be obsessive about making sure your customers are treated like royalty and have the experience of their lifetime when they interact or do business with you?

If not....why?

I know what some of you might be saying....well I am just a secretary or I am not in management so I have no say in how obsessive my organization is or isn't. Not true Mr. Magoo! You and you alone are responsible for your actions. People are creatures of observation and many will take their cues from people they see demonstrating qualities that they most want to replicate in themselves. You can be obsessive answering the phone, scrubbing a floor or washing the dishes. Your obsession is shown not only in your ability to do your job but doing your job very, very well. When that happens, co-workers, supervisors and customers can't help but take notice.

My first great assistant came to work for me because I recognized her passion for her job...cutting hair. I saw her effort extolled every time she lowered my ears just a bit and I wanted some of what she had handling my day to day stuff. Obsession for doing the very best job and taking care of the customer was what she had and it got her noticed.

So no matter what you are doing or what role you play within an organization what can you be doing to let your obsession shine through and set the example? You want to create a Ripple....start with passion!

Ripple On!!!

Steve

No comments: